Monday, November 16, 2009

Sweet Morning Dew of Java

Coming down from blood-boil mode, getting caught up with LoLcats, getting snarky in some emails to old friends, and just being generally in the mood to spend some quality time with the computer. Now that the big C has left the country and the girls are off on their school field trip, I can try to get back to my Happy Place. The next five days are MINE.

I have been retraining myself to drink coffee again. It has been four years since I had my last espresso and now it is pure joy to splurge once more. My problem is that I am the coffee equivalent of an alcoholic. Once I’ve started, I don’t want to stop. Four years ago, I was up to four triple lattes per day (that’s 12 shots of espresso, folks). Not only did I give myself an ulcer, but also the caffeine was giving me the shakes and jitters, not to mention the fact that my heart felt like it was going to bounce out of my rib cage. Now I fear I may have set myself up for another relapse and then the inevitable detox. Coffee rehab, anyone?

Also on the better-news front, I have found a website proxy that allows me to post to my blog. It only works some of the time, and when it does, I have to be quick about it, for China’s internet spies are everywhere and they block me again within a few minutes. Nonetheless, the taste of those few minutes is sweet and the rush of a time-lock is thrilling. Who’da ever thunk that writing could be such an adrenaline-pumping race.

And then comes the approaching denouement of my sentence in Hangzhou. Parole in 33 days. Along with anticipation of a new city, new job, new whatever, comes also anticipation of new people. I hear there are some hot expats in Beijing. Maybe I can wrangle me up a Swedish dude. Or maybe German. I’ve always wanted to speak Deutsche.

No comments: