Friday, November 13, 2009

Countdown to Temporary Peace

You know those days when you try to avoid your boss at all costs? You slink behind desks, duck behind doorways, avoid the office coffee machine altogether… I’m having one of those days. Unfortunately for me, I cannot get away. This is the trouble with living where you work.

It is impossible to go two weeks without a visit from some female Korean relative. Mother, aunt, grandmother, whatever. I’m a bit of a loner when it comes to living quarters, so – to put it mildly – I have found it difficult to be bombarded with company and roommates 24/7.

Reena’s mother, Carol, has come to visit from Korea for the next few days. Yes, another mother from Korea. Here we go. I have many opinions about this woman, but none of them appropriate to post to such a public forum. Suffice it to say I gave her a not-so-affectionate nickname at the beginning of my four-month sentence.

On Monday, Carol will go back to Korea, both my students are leaving for a five-day field trip to the Northwest of China, and Lucy will be with her boyfriend in Shanghai. I will have a working week of peace and quiet with no smelly smells from the kitchen. In all honesty, I’m mostly looking forward to just being able to walk around the apartment naked.

No comments: