Friday, February 26, 2010

You win, Red

I was watching a bit of the Olympic speed skating yesterday morning while waiting for the next train to SanYuanQiao for another job interview. As I watched, I felt a lot like one of those skaters – never the one in the lead, but always a few paces behind… the minute they catch momentum, they must turn another corner and every pathway suddenly becomes congested; they are blocked once again from gaining a promotion on the ice.

Yes, I feel a lot like that. My second job interview this week was another disappointment. I showed up, but they didn't. I'm tired of being jerked around. On top of that, the latest development: my aunt and uncle are moving back to North America come the first week of May. So, as of Cinqo de Mayo, I will no longer have a place to live in Beijing.

Walking to the subway station in the morning, a familiar song got stuck in my head. Daughtry’s “Going Home.” Not the greatest song, but one of whose lyrics I’m currently jealous. Then, I realized that, for the past few weeks, maybe longer, I have been given scores of "Yankee Go Home" signs. It's time I threw in the towel. It isn’t giving up at this point, is it? I’ve tried to make a go of it. Even so, I guess I must admit defeat. China beat me down. I got submitted.

If I go, I resign myself to shacking up at my parents' home in Michigan for six months, just until I move to the PhD location - wherever that may be. Better to struggle through the job hunt in your own language, though, right?

2 comments:

Kaijsa said...

At least you don't need a work visa to get a job in Michigan! No matter what you decide, I know you'll do well, M.

Poet Abroad said...

Thanks, Kaijsa! I definitely think things will be easier.