Sunday, February 21, 2010

Back to Beijing… again

It’s hard to believe, sitting here, back in the apartment in Beijing, in minus four-degree temperatures (celcius), that two days ago I was in Sydney, Australia, riding in a stretch limo, drinking champaign, and attending a Chinese movie premiere.

That’s right, after two weeks in paradise, the pièce de résistance was an evening at a red carpet event, complete with pre-dinner fashion show, opera singer and Chinese lion dancing entertainment, and live auction fundraiser. The cognac and wine were free-flowing; so combined with the champaign I’d had in the limo, I was a pretty happy camper. Granted, I was a little exasperated, having to sample more Chinese culture when I was on a much-needed hiatus from China, but what the hell.

Between the fresh air, the sun, the scenery…

... getting in some pool time with the aunties and getting my salt water fix (a cure-all for everything)...

…and having a few moments to catch up with my mother…

… I feel sated. So now, after being pampered with gourmet dishes, some of my favorite foods…

…(and sometimes slipping slightly out of vegetarianism to partake in delectable seafood. Yes, that's lobster scampi on the counter there, folks – sorry, crustaceans)…

and top notch champaign, I’m back in China to finish the final stretch of my year abroad. Back to tomato and cheddar on toast. Oh, but they won't be fresh tomatoes from my aunt's garden. No, no. And the toast will not be soy and linseed - just average, pale, wheat toast that's been sitting on the shelf a tad too long and cut in the most bizarrely perfect squares.

And did I mention that I got to ride in my uncle's candy-apple red Ferrari... three times??? Yeah. Vroom, baby. All that, and I got a tan to boot - not an easy accomplishment with my alabaster skin. It is easy to see why so many people decide to make their homes in Sydney. It is truly spectacular and I believe, if I could afford it, it would definitely be the perfect place to live.

How do you leave this place without wanting more?

2 comments:

Linus said...

Aside from their proposed internet censorship (not as bad as China, but still...), I would love to visit/live there. Perhaps they need sociologists...?

Poet Abroad said...

You should look into it!.... haven't heard anything about the internet censorship, though. Hmm...