Thursday, September 10, 2009

China’s and My Relationship Status

The bad news: China rejected me and wants to break up. The Chinese government denied my request for a business visa because I’ve been in the country too long. Idiocy. My tourist visa expires on Saturday and my boss decided to leave all this until the last minute. Very smart.

My options are these: Tomorrow I will go back to Xiaoshan to the embassy and ask to renew my tourist visa one more time. Likely I will not be able to, since I believe you can only renew once and I have already done so. You can only cheat on China once. She holds grudges and doesn’t forgive easily. The second option: This weekend I will fly to Korea. By leaving the country, I can apply again for a four-month business visa. Maybe China just wants some space. Time apart will make her realize she wants me back.

The timing is terrible. I have family visiting this weekend from Canada and I fear I won’t be able to see them. I’m trying to be optimistic, but China won’t let me. It’s hard to be optimistic in this country when at every turn you find several roadblocks. She’s a jealous and controlling bitch.

The good news: I am now the squatting toilet master. If you can use a squatting toilet on a moving train that’s swaying side to side, you can pee anywhere.

No comments: