Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The apple may never even fall...


I feel myself becoming more like my mother every day. Not only am I eating more mangoes (my mother's favorite fruit), but I'm beginning to sound like her.

Tonight was parent-teacher conferences at the girls' school. Since their parents aren't here, I went instead. I went around to their classrooms and met their teachers. I remembered what it was like for my mother and how I was always terrified about what she would bring home to tell me. I hadn't done anything wrong (usually), but for some reason was horrified my mother would find out I was a different person at school.

The girls were just as anxious to know what I talked about with their teachers. I heard myself saying things like, "All of your teachers had the same comment: you need to speak up and ask more questions in class."

I gave a big lecture, just like my mother used to do, about how it was important to be vocal in class and how, even if they didn't have a question, it was important to voice an opinion or put out some ideas to get a discussion started. I couldn't believe what kept pouring out of my mouth. I was having flashbacks. It made me miss her, but it is also comforting to know that I am turning into her. I could think of a better person after whom to model myself.

1 comment:

Linus said...

My mother used to have to deal with a significantly kind of parent-teacher conference - but I was a young hoodlum...