Tuesday, August 25, 2009

One Day at a Time

There are four of us living in this apartment: me, my two Korean students, Tina and Reena, and their Korean guardian, Lucy. Lucy and I often have difficulties in communication. Her English is not great, but she speaks Chinese. My Chinese is dreadful and my Korean is non-existent.

Today I met Lucy's boyfriend, whose English name is Louis. Louis doesn't speak English, but from what I could gather, without actually having a conversation with him, he seemed genuinely sweet. Our five minute interaction was all translated and filtered through Lucy. This evening, when Lucy and I were on a break from teaching the girls, I asked her about him. "Do you love him?" I asked. Her answer confused me at first; but when she explained it, it made a great deal of sense.

Me: "Do you love him?"

Lucy: "Little bit."

Her explanation? That every day her "measurement" of love is changed. "Maybe yesterday I love him a lot. Maybe today not as much." What a perfect way to describe the flakiness that can sometimes be love. After her explanation, she came back with, "He is not so good-looking, but he is my soulmate." I love the honesty. Maybe she'll love him more tomorrow.

No comments: