Thursday, August 27, 2009

Fishy fishy fishy


In Korean, Meggie means "fish." Highly appropriate, I think. However, when I see the type of fish that gets served up as dinner, I'm not quite so sure I like the idea. This is what was staring me in the face while I tried to swallow my toasted tomato and cheese sandwich.

Sometimes I forget which country I came to, China or Korea. I'm learning more Chinese, but with Korean accents and Korean customs. What is rude in Korea is not so rude in China. But what is rude in western culture is second nature in Korean and Chinese.

For example: I have been permanently driven away from the dining table - not by the foods or the smells, but by the noise. My mother has taken over my body and I now know exactly why she taught me from an extremely early age to chew with my mouth closed. It puts me off my appetite and all I can do is stare. Therefore, I now take my meals in my bedroom. Unfortunately, that doesn't always help. The sound of smacking can travel through walls.

No comments: