Tuesday, June 9, 2009

World Traveller Anonymous

The fun thing about China is that you never know when something will work. If there is a chance something will go wrong, it probably will. See previous post for case in point. While we may be frustrated by certain things like censorship, China remains unapologetic.

I complain about not being able to view YouTube or read many of my favorite websites, including not even being able to gain access to my own blog. These posts are actually guerrilla blogging in action. I’ve typed my blogs in Word and sent them on their merry way to the good ol’ U.S. of A. so that a friend might post them for me. Many thanks to him.

Does this remind us of anything? Say, perhaps, the German Nazi regime burning books in the squares? Banning classical literature and brilliant writings because they made us think impure democratic thoughts. So why does China not want me to see videos posted on YouTube? After all, there is no copyright law in China, so that can’t be it. And what’s wrong with reading a friend’s blog about cultural cooking? It’s just a bit too progressive for the Chinese government. What ever happened to enlightenment?

But in all sincerity, I’ve got it good in comparison.

June 4 was the 20-year anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre and China is virtually mum. All news on this end has been from outside sources. No word from the Chinese government. I kept up with stories online via the BBC and NPR, some from journalists who’ve been banned from the country. One story involved a Chinese woman in her seventies wanting answers to her son’s death two decades ago. Response from the Chinese government? We’re stilling waiting on that one…

No comments: