Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Big Qs.

Self-censorship is not an easy feat. Korea is now going through some major changes and scaring the hell out of people all over the world. A majority of the students here at RQA are Korean. Granted, the major threat is North Korea and my students are from the South, but I want to ask them how they feel, how it’s affecting them, if they see the problems or see the changes that need to happen. Do they wonder about what will happen when China doesn’t have their back any longer? Or is there any point? Are they so wrapped up in their own primary and secondary educational lives that they can’t see past the school? Do they think about the impact it will have on the world? On THEM? Did I when I was their age? So, I keep myself from asking the can-of-worm questions. I have to ask myself every day, how many waves do I want to make? And how big?

I would urge my students to have these discussions, and yet I can’t even get them to ask questions about the poems I’m assigning. “What is the author trying to tell us?” “He’s sad.” (Sigh). I guess that’s a start. But how do I get them thinking about the big picture without invoking the wrath of the Politically Correct Police? Better yet, how do I get them to CARE when it doesn’t directly affect them?

These kids are bright, but sometimes unmotivated. They often come in without having done any of their homework. I pantomime asphyxiation, but that’s not getting anywhere. I’ve threatened to call their parents. That perked their ears. The next day they did HALF the assignment. Ok, we’re making progress. What else can I threaten them with? Today the faculty had a meeting to brainstorm that very question. Our solution? Take away weekend outings to the fancy hotels and swimming pools.

When I pictured myself teaching abroad, I never considered the fact that I might be teaching privileged rich kids who were born with a silver spoon in their mouths and no natural predators to take away their play station (or whatever gadget is hot these days). Private school is a marvel: the best educational circumstances for kids who don’t always act like they deserve it.

This isn’t to say I don’t believe these kids deserve a great education. I’d never say that. EVERYONE deserves a great education. But, my golly, could you show a little interest in your brain function? And it isn’t all about being academically alert, either. I’m talking about developing a real connection with curiosity and asking the more philosophical or esoteric questions. Not everything has to be arcane, but once in a while it wouldn’t hurt to wonder. That’s all I’m saying. My fear is that we are far from seeing them as free thinking individuals.

No comments: