Thursday, January 14, 2010

Back to Beijing

It was a thirty-hour train ride back to Beijing. I left Shenzhen at 10:55 a.m. on Tuesday morning, and arrived in the cold north capital on Wednesday afternoon at 4:20 p.m. The length of this particular excursion would have been grueling had I bought the same type of ticket as my trip down there. However, sometimes you've got to spend a little extra money for the comfort and convenience that keeps you from throwing yourself under the rail.

My luck blossomed and I found that not only did I have the seat-sleeper that I wanted, but I had the entire berth to myself. Folks, this never happens, especially not in a country of 1.3 billion people. I smiled the whole way.

As the past few weeks have gone by and since my recent move from Hangzhou to Beijing, I've considered retitling this blog. After all, I no longer live anywhere near the Yangtze River. Nonetheless, after careful thought, I've decided to keep it as a reminder of what I originally set out to do. My strength has been tested and it has wavered over the past eight months, but something keeps my head aimed straight ahead, determined to drive forward and see this through to the end. And you know what? It's been worth it. Things continue to get better.

The night before I left Hong Kong I received an email. A job offer. The perfect job offer: teaching high school students English literature at an international school just outside the city. I sort out the details on Monday and, hopefully, by this time next week, will have a contract.

However, if there is one thing I have learned from dealings in China, it is that I mustn't get my hopes up too high. Typically, they promise you the moon, sweep you off your feet, and reel you in; then, just at the very last minute, they disappoint you and all promises are forgotten. I keep hoping each time will be different, but so far I have yet to be right. Maybe this time...

No comments: